Archivi del mese: marzo 2011

Japan: “Problem is not nuclear industry, it’s safety” Sarkozy sheltered his nuclear business

Sarkozy in Japan shelters France nuclear business

France Sarkozy is first foreign leader in Japan post-quake: he shelters his nuclear business and proposes May G20 meeting on nuclear safety standards.
IAEA draws up safety standards, but they are not binding French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Thursday proposed a meeting of G20 nuclear industry officials in May to start hammering out new global safety standards in the wake of the power plant disaster in Japan.
Japan’s battle to avert a catastrophic meltdown of fuel rods at the earthquake-wrecked facility north of Tokyo has triggered alarm and safety reviews in nuclear-powered countries around the world.
Sarkozy, the first foreign leader to visit Japan since the March 11 disaster, said the incident should not cast doubt on the wisdom of pursuing nuclear energy itself but on the lack of international norms for ensuring the industry remains safe.
“The problem is more about establishing safety norms than it is about the choice of nuclear energy, for this there is no alternative right now,” he told a news conference with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan in Tokyo.
“We must address this anomaly that there are no international safety norms for nuclear matters. We want international standards because the world is a village and what happens in Japan can have consequences elsewhere.”
He said France would ask the nuclear safety authorities of the Group of 20 countries to meet in Paris in May to lay groundwork for a special meeting of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) conference the following month.
“We need international safety standards before the end of the year,” said Sarkozy, whose country heads the G20 and G8 for most of 2011.
The IAEA draws up nuclear safety standards and recommendations, but they are not legally binding. Nuclear safety is primarily the responsibility of member states.
There is, however, a Convention on Nuclear Safety drawn up after the accidents at Three Mile Island in the United States and Chernobyl in Ukraine which obliges its signatories, currently 72, to achieve and maintain a high level of safety, largely based on the IAEA principles.
Kan backed the French proposal for a global nuclear review, saying it was Japan’s “duty to accurately share with the world our experience”.
Sarkozy, who flew to Tokyo after addressing a G20 seminar in China on global monetary reform, told Japan it had the support of the whole world as it strives to contain its nuclear calamity and deal with the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that left some 28,000 people dead or missing.
A team of French nuclear experts, including the CEO of state-owned Areva , flew to Tokyo earlier this week to help Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) as it battles to bring its crippled Fukushima plant under control.
France is the world’s most nuclear-dependent country, producing 75 percent of its electricity from 58 reactors.
“Consider me your employee,” Areva Chief Executive Anne Lauvergeon told Japanese officials.
At a meeting with French expatriates in Tokyo earlier, Sarkozy acknowledged that when France became the first country to tell its nationals to leave the city because of the nuclear disaster it “met with some ridicule”.
France has since changed its advice. “All the experts agree that living in Tokyo now does no represent a health risk,” Sarkozy said.

Annunci

Japan should consider extending evacuation zone around plant

Japan should consider extending evacuation zone around plant -safety agency

Japan Nuclear Alert

The Japanese government must consider whether to expand the evacuation zone around the earthquake-wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the country’s nuclear safety agency said on Thursday.
The U.N. nuclear watchdog has suggested that Japan consider widening the zone. Currently, those within a 20-km (12-mile) radius from the plant have been ordered to leave. The government has encouraged those living in a 20-30 km ring to leave but has not ordered them to do so, advising only that they remain indoors.


Google takes on Facebook with latest social tweak

The Virtual World War

Google takes on Facebook with latest social tweak
* New feature lets users endorse search results
* Feature does not currently affect search result ranking
* Highlights Google’s battle with Facebook
(Adds details on feature, link to FTC settlement, byline)
Google Inc will begin allowing users to personally endorse search results and Web pages, its latest attempt to stave off rival Facebook Inc while trying to jump onboard a social networking boom.
The so-called “+1” button will start to appear alongside Google search results for select users from Wednesday, letting people recommend specific search results to friends and contacts by clicking on that button.
Eventually, the feature may begin to influence the ranking of search results, though that is only under consideration.
Results are now ranked via a closely guarded algorithm.
The world’s leader in Internet search is battling to maintain its share of Web surfers’ time and attention, which is increasingly getting taken up by Facebook, Twitter and other social networks. But it has struggled to find its footing in the nascent market.
Its last attempt to create a social network — Buzz — has not fared well. A flood of complaints about how Buzz handled user privacy cast a pall over the product. On Wednesday, Google announced it had reached a settlement with regulators under which it agreed to independent privacy audits every two years.
With the new +1 buttons, Google aims to counter one of Facebook’s most popular features. The new feature comes nearly a year after Facebook began offering special “Like” buttons to websites, creating a personalized recommendation system that some analysts believe could challenge the traditional ranking algorithms that search engines use to find online information.
A LOSING BATTLE?
Maintaining its role as the main gateway to information on the Internet is key for Google, which generated roughly $29 billion in revenue last year — primarily from search ads.
While Google remains the Internet search and advertising leader, Facebook is taking a larger and larger portion of advertising dollars.
Google said that +1 recommendations will also appear in the paid ads that Google displays alongside its search results. In its internal tests, Google found that including the recommendations boosted the rates at which people click on the ads, executives told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday.
Eventually, Google plans to let third-party websites feature +1 buttons directly on their own pages, the company said.
Google’s Matt Cutts, a principal engineer for search, said the +1 buttons were part of the evolution of Google’s own social search efforts, rather than a direct response to Facebook’s Like buttons.
“We always keep an eye out on what other people are doing, but for me the compelling value is just that it’s right there
in the search results,” said Cutts.
Google introduced social search in 2009, and in February the company began displaying special snippets underneath any search results that have been shared by a person’s contacts on Twitter, the popular Internet microblogging service.
Currently Google is not using +1 recommendations as a factor in how it ranks search results — a user only sees that a friend recommended a search result if the result would have turned up in a search based on Google’s existing ranking criteria.
Google’s Cutts said the company is evaluating whether to use +1 recommendations as a ranking factor in the future.
To use the new recommendation system, users must create a Google Profile page. Any +1 clicks that a person makes will be publicly visible to their network of contacts, which is based on existing contacts in Google products such as the company’s Gmail email and its instant messaging service.
Google faced privacy criticisms last year when it launched Buzz, a social networking messaging product that automatically revealed people’s personal contact lists to the public.
Cutts said that Google hoped to address any potential privacy concerns with the +1 service by making it clear that any +1 tags are public.
“As long as people have that mental model, they know what to expect, they’re not surprised if they +1 something and it shows up in a different context,” he said.
The feature will initially be available to a small portion of Google users in the United States on Wednesday, and the company plans to allow other U.S. users to sign up to try the +1 feature later in the day.


Misure super-precise della fuga di cervelli italiana.

E’ il ritornello stonato della comunità scientifica italiana. I cervelli in fuga dall’Italia si distinguono nelle istituzioni di culturali di tutto il pianeta.Il Bel Paese si inaridisce, mentre suoi figli coltivano il progresso e ne raccolgono i frutti in terra straniera. E’ così che la fisica mondiale abbatte gli ultimi ostacoli alla possibilita’ di ottenere misure super-precise, tanto da poter studiare l’attivita’ elettrica del cervello con un dettaglio senza precedenti. Il risultato, pubblicato su Nature, ha una firma italiana, quella del fisico Mario Napolitano, che dopo aver studiato a Napoli si e’ trasferito in Spagna, nell’Istituto di Scienze fotonica di Castelldefels.Da tempo la fisica quantistica e’ alla base delle misure di alta precisione, come quelle fatte dagli orologi atomici che sono il cuore dei sistemi di navigazione satellitare, della misura della gravita’ terrestre o dei campi magnetici. Misure come queste sono possibili grazie a strumenti capaci di rilevare differenze impercettibili: ogni strumento ha un’imprecisione intrinseca che e’ possibile ridurre progressivamente finche’ non si entra nel mondo delle particella. E’ qui che si incontra quello che finora e’ stato considerato un limite invalicabile: la cosiddetta ”barriera di Heisenberg”. Si tratta, spiega Napolitano, di ”una derivazione del principio di indeterminatezza di Heisenberg, secondo il quale non si possono conoscere tutte le proprieta’ di una particella con una precisione infinita. Resta, insomma, un’incertezza”. Da qualche anno si cercava di mettere in dubbio questo principio e adesso il gruppo spagnolo diretto da Morgan Mitchell ci e’ riuscito: ”abbiamo dimostrato – dice il ricercatore – che il limite vale solo se i fotoni agiscono in modo indipendente l’uno dall’altro.Ma se, come nel nostro esperimento, si utilizza un’interazione tra fotoni nel momento in cui si fa la misura, diventa possibile migliorare la precisione”.Avere superato l’ostacolo ora permette di mettere a punto magnetometri di nuova generazione, capaci di rilevare correnti elettriche molto deboli. Strumenti di questo tipo potrebbero essere utilizzati nel campo delle neuroscienze. ”I sistemi attuali per studiare il funzionamento del cervello – spiega Napolitano – hanno una precisione sufficiente per osservare fenomeni vistosi, come le aree che si attivano durante un attacco epilettico. Strumenti piu’ sensibili e precisi potrebbero aprire nuove strade, permettendo di studiare il cervello in situazioni normali”.


Zapatero, sinistra spagnola e sindrome italiana.

Questo slideshow richiede JavaScript.

La Spagna, famigerata esportatrice di virus influenzale, contrae la malattia della sinistra italiana.
Sulla stampa e’ il tormentone di primavera: quando e come, Jose’ Luis Zapatero annuncera’ la sua futura uscita di scena, e chi sara’ il suo successore? Il premier socialista, ai minimi storici nei sondaggi, e con lui il Psoe, ufficialmente non ha aperto bocca. Ma tutti nel palazzo della politica madrilena danno per scontato che lascera’ alla fine dell’attuale mandato, per le politiche del marzo 2012.
La data dell’annuncio era stata prevista giorni fa da diversi giornali per questo sabato, quando a Madrid si riuniscono i vertici del Psoe. Un appuntamento pero’ ritenuto improbabile dal segretario organizzativo del partito Marcelino Iglesias. E nel frattempo sui tempi dell’annuncio si e’ scatenata una sorda battaglia dentro il partito e fuori fra chi lo vorrebbe subito e chi invece spera intervenga solo poco prima delle politiche. Fra questi ultimi anche Emilio Botin, patron del Banco Santander e prossimo banchiere di Spagna (c’e’ chi dice anche l’uomo piu’
potente), che ha chiesto a Zapatero di rinviare fino all’ultimo minuto la corsa alla successione. Questo fra l’altro per evitare analogie in un momento critico con i mercati con il Portogallo, dove il premier socialista e’ dimissionario da una settimana, e che si trova sull’orlo del salvataggio Ue-Fmi. Con Botin si schierano anche i socialisti catalani, che sperano di piazzare alla guida del partito al posto dell’attuale premier il ministro della difesa Carme Chacon. Per un annuncio rapido, che faccia chiarezza e indichi un nuovo leader piu’ presentabile da offrire agli elettori, premono i baroni regionali del partito, che temono una batosta alle regionali e amministrative del 22 maggio, ma anche dirigenti degli altri partiti come il ‘governatore’ nazionalista della Catalogna Artur Mas. Allungare i tempi – e’ la scommessa dei catalani – potrebbe infatti indebolire la posizione dell’attuale favorito, il vicepremier e ministro degli interni Alfredo Rubalcaba, e dare piu’ chance alla candidata catalana. E in effetti il fatto di essere visto per il momento come il ‘quasi sicuro’ successore di Zapatero fa si che sulla sua schiena si piantino gia’ colpi di spillo ma anche di stiletto di avversari e concorrenti. Contro di lui gonfia la polemica sul ‘Caso Faisal’, dal nome di un bar nel quale durante le trattative del 2006 – poi fallite – fra il governo Zapatero e l’Eta, avvenne una ‘soffiata’ della polizia al capo di una rete di estorsione del gruppo armato basco,
avvertito del suo imminente arresto. Una operazione immaginata per non disturbare la trattativa. L’inchiesta sulle
responsabilita’ della soffiata si avvicina sempre di piu’ ai piani alti del ministero degli interni. La pubblicazione da parte di El Mundo ieri di note sequestrate all’ex-capo Eta Javier Lopez Pena, alias ‘Thierry’, arrestato in Francia, hanno reso ancora piu’ delicata la posizione di Rubalcaba. I documenti affermano che durante il negoziato il governo si impegno’ a dare ordine alle forze di sicurezza di non procedere ad arresti di uomini del gruppo armato. Il governo mette in dubbio l’attendibilita’ delle carte dell’Eta, Rubalcaba ha detto di essere ”orgoglioso” di quanto fece allora, ma il Partido Popular ora chiede le sue dimissioni per ”collaborazione con i terroristi”.


Umberto Laqualunque al Gala della Lega: Amici Miei, le origini.

LEGA: BOSSI,NOI IN POLITICA PER CAUSA,GLI ALTRI PER CARRIERA
”Quelli degli altri partiti vanno a fare politica come carriera e sono sempre uno contro l’altro: noi non siamo cosi’, siamo amici e per questo siamo sempre andati avanti”. Lo ha detto Umberto Bossi, segretario della Lega Nord e ministro delle Riforme, parlando ad una festa del Carroccio dei 25 anni di presenza a Bergamo. 
La notizia battuta nella serata di ieri ha già fatto il giro di tutte le stanze del potere romano, guadagnando ghigni allusivi e sfociando in sonore risate quando, affiancato da tutto lo Stato maggiore, Bossi ha ripercorso le tappe della storia del movimento pronunciando una massima memorabile, degna del miglior Antonio Albanese: ”Non ci siamo arricchiti – ha aggiunto – siamo rimasti quelli di sempre. Noi siamo gente che mantiene la parola”.
La cena di gala alla Fiera di Bergamo e’ stato lo spunto per Bossi per ripercorrere davanti a militanti e simpatizzanti la storia del Carroccio da lui fondato. Un applauso e’ scattato dai circa 2 mila invitati quando il ministro delle Riforme ha ricordato Daniele Vimercati, il giornalista scomparso che fu il primo biografo del senatur, professionista con il quale anche noi di Millecaratteri avuto il piacere e l’onore di lavorare.
”La prima volta a Bergamo – ha ricordato Bossi – ci venni portato da Vimercati, che faceva domande anche ‘stronze’, finte domande per rompere le balle alla gente, come quelle di Annozero. Fosse oggi qui – ha concluso – sarebbe a dirigere una delle reti Rai, perche’ era uno in gamba”. Fra le persone piu’ citate dal leader del Carroccio, sia come amico, sia come compagno di esperienza politica, e’ stato il ministro dell’Interno, Roberto Maroni, con cui Bossi ha condiviso l’addio della battaglia autonomista a Varese, sul finire degli anni ’70.
”Mi ricordo di quando andavamo a fare le scritte sui ponti dell’autostrada ed una sera, per sfuggire alla polizia, rovesciai un secchio di colla sulla macchina di Maroni, e la cosa fece arrabbiare sua mamma”, ha riso di gusto.
Amici Miei, le origini.       


%d blogger hanno fatto clic su Mi Piace per questo: